Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Mexico - Day 2 - XHMYL

Today I put on my Indiana Jones hat and toured the ancient Mayan ruins of Tulum overlooking the Caribbean Sea.  Our bilingual guide was very knowledgeable and spoke with a sweet southern accent when speaking English.




On the walk out of Tulum, way off in the distance, I saw what I originally thought was some sort of amusement park ride.  As we got closer, it became clear that these were men swinging upside down from ropes around a pole with one man playing a flute at the top.  They were descending quickly and by the time my wife whipped the camera out they were almost behind a tree line but she still managed to get this shot.

These pole dancers were doing the Danza de los Voladores (Dance of the Flyers) which was performed to stop droughts in ancient times but now is done to help preserve Mayan culture.

XHMYL "Juvemyl (?) 92.1 FM" broadcast from Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico.  They are now branded as "So Good 92.1"

No comments: