Saturday, March 7, 2009

Places I've Lived #2 - Palmyra, Pennsylvania

My father got a job at the Hershey chocolate factory so we moved from Florida to Palmyra, Pennsylvania in 1971. My parents were originally from this part of the country, dad grew up in Lebanon and mom lived in various Pennsylvania towns whenever her preacher father changed congregations. I lived here until I was 8 years old at which point we moved to a garbage barge New Jersey.


WWSM is a Classic Country music station licensed to Annville-Cleona, Pennsylvania just east of Palmyra.  Their call letters are likely a nod to the most famous Country music station in the country.

UPDATE: WWSM has ceased broadcasting over-the-air and their license was canceled in November 2022.  They can still be heard at their website which, at least as I write this, has the 1510 AM frequency all over it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I lived in that same barge, err, town. If it were not for the great hoagies I wouldn't find much redeeming in the land of jughandles. There, at a young age, I could learn marketable skills like collecting beer bottle caps from the playground.

Greg said...

And then gift those same pasted-on-cardboard beer bottle caps to a perplexed yet always kindly grandfather.