Monday, September 14, 2009

College Radio Week - WWSU


We wrap up College Radio Week with two stickers from the campus radio station at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio. I attended WSU from 1988 to 1994 (that’s right, it took this dumbass six years to finally score a degree.) In that time I witnessed “alternative” music become relatively mainstream as well as the advent of Grunge and that soon-to-be massive band from Seattle known as The Supersuckers Nirvana. I swear we must have played the “Smells Like Teen Spirit” CD-single with its little cardboard sleeve twice an hour when it arrived at the station. I only did a three hour show once a week but it was enough time to foist plenty of British post-punk and obscure Canadian new wave upon the 2 or 3 people who listened. I called my show “Brave New Waves” which was completely stolen from the Canadian Broadcasting show of the same name. In clich├ęd DJ fashion I changed my name for use on-air and somewhere along the way obtained the nickname “Miracle Man” (because if I played a good song it was a miracle...ho ho ho.) It was great fun doing college radio, my only regret was that I never got more involved at the station as a director. As I’m not a trust fund baby I had to work all through school and never had the time to do more than DJ.


Yours truly in the WWSU studios circa 1992.

“Dayton’s Wright Choice” pumps out an astounding 20 watts of power (which I believe is twice as much as when I volunteered there.) WWSU is licensed to Fairborn, Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment