Monday, September 14, 2009

College Radio Week - WWSU




We wrap up College Radio Week with two stickers from the campus radio station at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio. I attended WSU from 1988 to 1994 (that’s right, it took this dumbass six years to finally score a degree.) In that time I witnessed “alternative” music become relatively mainstream as well as the advent of Grunge and that soon-to-be massive band from Seattle known as The Supersuckers Nirvana. I swear we must have played the “Smells Like Teen Spirit” CD-single with its little cardboard sleeve twice an hour when it arrived at the station. I only did a three hour show once a week but it was enough time to foist plenty of British post-punk and obscure Canadian new wave upon the 2 or 3 people who listened. I called my show “Brave New Waves” which was completely stolen from the Canadian Broadcasting show of the same name. In clichéd DJ fashion I changed my name for use on-air and somewhere along the way obtained the nickname “Miracle Man” (because if I played a good song it was a miracle...ha ha ha.) It was great fun doing college radio, my only regret was that I never got more involved at the station as a director. As I’m not a trust fund baby I had to work all through school and never had the time to do more than DJ.


Yours truly in the WWSU studios circa 1992.


Digging through a drawer recently, I found my old, laminated FCC Radiotelephone Operator Permit which was required to be on the air.

“Dayton’s Wright Choice” pumps out an astounding 20 watts of power (which I believe is twice as much as when I volunteered there.) WWSU is licensed to Fairborn, Ohio.

No comments: