Saturday, October 13, 2018

I Am What I Play - WBCN

I watched an interesting documentary the other day called I Am What I Play.  In it, four fabled DJs from rock radio’s past recount sometimes parallel stories about a time when jocks were almost as well known (at least locally) as the bands they were spinning.  The four broadcasters are Meg Griffin (WNEW – New York), Pat O’Day (KJR – Seattle), Charles Laquidara (WBCN – Boston), and most interestingly (to me) David Marsden (CFNY – Toronto).  These jocks worked at a time when they were allowed great leeway, if not total control, over what music they played and what they said on the air.  I didn’t grow up listening to any of these guys so it was a strange feeling to be nostalgic for a time I never experienced but it was definitely a better time for radio than today.



































104.1 WBCN (W Boston Concert Network) was a Rock station in Boston, Massachusetts from 1968 until 2017.  Past DJs include J. Geils Band frontman Peter Wolf, MTV VJ JJ Jackson, voice actor Billy West and the aforementioned Charles Laquidara.

1 comment:

Vaughn B. said...

Robot: 104 FM WBCN RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROCKS BOSTON! Peter Wolf: YEAH!