Wednesday, February 17, 2021

R.I.P. Rush Limbaugh

My work day began at 3:30 AM today--an hour earlier than my not-much-better 4:30 AM start time.  This meant that I left work a little after noon, hopped in my car and heard the familiar bass notes of The Pretenders' "My City Was Gone" which meant The Rush Limbaugh Show was about to start on my local affiliate 1290 AM WHIO.  I've been listening to this station more often lately to get traffic updates and weather reports after some recent heavy snowfall.  I was never really a Rush listener but would tune in occasionally to mentally disagree with almost everything he said.  A voice introduced Kathryn Limbaugh and my first thought was "is his wife a talk show host too?"  Then I remembered that Rush had had some recent health problems and soon realized that she was on there to announce his death.  Rush Limbaugh said some abhorrent things over the past 30+ years of his show--AIDS victims, Native Americans, Michael J Fox, women's rights activists and African Americans were among the people caught up in his buffoonery.  But it is hard to argue that Limbaugh was one of the most talented broadcasters in the history of radio even if his talent wasn't boastfully "on loan from God."


 KBSN - Moses Lake, Washington

KSDO - San Diego, California

KBLG - Billings, Montana

No comments: